Online License Application
We accept many kinds of license applications and renewals online through texas.gov, the state’s official website. Unsure what type of license you need and which application to use? The Racing Commission can help.
- View a list of the license types and the applicable fees and approval requirements.
The Online application process is really very simple. An applicant must:
- Fill in the Online license application. It requires the same type of information as a paper application.
- Pay the applicable license fee, using a major credit card or a draft from your checking account (ACH).
- Submit to the Racing Commission any additional information required, such as fingerprints or an addendum form with the required signatures and/or approvals.
Renewal applicants must submit fingerprints every three years. The Texas Racing Commission has two options for the applicant to submit renewal fingerprints. Individuals due to submit fingerprints with an occupational license renewal must call a licensing office to see which option is available.
- Option 1: Submit fingerprint cards—The original fingerprints are not on file with the Department of Public Safety. This occurs when the original fingerprints were rejected or the TxRC does not have evidence that the Department of Public Safety has original fingerprints on file. The applicant must be fingerprinted on an FBI card and submit $41.45 fingerprint fee with the application.
- Option 2: “Resubmit” fingerprint cards—The applicant must submit a $31.50 processing fee and the Texas Racing Commission will resubmit the original fingerprints. Original fingerprints must be on file with the Department of Public Safety. It is very important to call a Texas Racing Commission licensing office to verify that you qualify for this option. Failure to do so may delay the processing of your application.
Before Starting the Online Process
- Am I licensed as soon as I pay the fee?
No. We will send you a letter after issuing the license. You may visit a Racing Commission office to obtain a badge. We will contact you if we have questions.
- Can I renew an existing license online?
Many license types can, but you’ll need the license number you want to renew.
- Are online fees refundable?
No. Online application fees are not refundable, even if you apply for a license for which you are not eligible.
- Can anyone apply for a license online?
You can apply for most license types online. Business and individual licenses are different. Be sure to use the correct application. Check the relevant link in the table below for details.
- I am a first-time applicant for a trainer's license, may I apply online?
No. You must meet certain requirements before applying online. Refer to Trainer's Test Requirements.
- Must Read if Applying for an Owner or Trainer License
We try to process eligible online applications within 24 hours, but the time can vary due to holidays, weekends or high workload. If you have an animal entered in a race within 72 hours and you are either not licensed or your license is expired, DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE. You MUST contact the Licensing Office for immediate assistance.
See our Licensing FAQ's.